The Volunteers In Probation (V.I.P.) program is seeking dependable volunteers. V.I.P.’s function is to assist the Probation Department and it’s individual officers. Volunteers work with youth on probation between the ages of 11 and 18 years and support Adult Division operations.
Those interested in the V.I.P. Program are required to submit an application for volunteering, provide V.I.P. with two written references, have an interview with the program director, and pass a criminal background check. Volunteers must be at least 21 years old.
Some volunteer options:
1. Mentoring. Be a positive role model to a youth on probation.
2. Internet mentoring at the CAGC, Boys Ranch, and Juvenile Hall.
3. Working as an assistant to a Probation Officer (i.e. aiding at an all girls treatment-intensive program, attending court, home supervision, school sites, or determining restitution for victims).
4. Teacher’s aide at Juvenile Hall or tutor youth one on one.
All applicants must pass a confidential criminal background check, however, having a criminal history does not automatically exclude a person, as frequency, severity and recency of prior arrests are considered.
The program is an incredibly rewarding experience for the Probation Officers, the V.I.P.’s, and most importantly, the youth of Contra Costa County
You may find that we have the ability to make your volunteering experience tailor made!!!
We have the following available:
* Internships. Students who need to have --- hours for College Credit and experience.
* One on One Mentoring. Adult to Juvenile ages 11-18.
* Internet & Library Mentors. Working with those Juveniles detained in Institutions that want to access the Internet or Check out books.
* Tutors for English, Math or Science.
* Mentor in the Hall or at the Ranch (various activities).
* The Hall Closet Thrift Store is open from 10am-2pm Monday and Tuesday as well as the first Saturday of every month. Help is needed throughout the week.
Of course with your own creativity and resources, the possibilities are unlimited!