Staff is responsible for:
- Coordinating, designing and advertising County public road projects, flood control projects and airport projects.
- Supervising the building of capital road, drainage and flood control improvement projects.
- Supervising the construction of road and drainage improvements on private development projects in the unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County.
The Design Section develops projects from the preliminary design stage to advertising the project for bids and construction.
The design process includes:
- Determining right of way needs
- Gathering utility information and coordinating any necessary utility relocations
- Reviewing materials
- Testing information
- Intitiating the environmental assessment
- Initiating right of way acquisition
- Obtaining the necessary permits for construction
- Designing the project
Capital Project Construction staff provides supervision and contract administration of all projects advertised by, and built under contract with, the Public Works Department, Flood Control and Water Conservation District and assessmenet districts.
Staff also provides inspection for Subdivision and Other Land Development construction work done by private developers and contractors creating new roads and/or drainage facilities for subdivisions or projects required for Subidivisions, Land Use Permits, Development Permits and Road Accepteance Projects.
Materials & Testing Lab
Staff perform chemical, physical and performance testing on materials. They also conduct field investigations to provide data needed by engineers and construction inspectors for planning, design, construction and maintenance of road and drainage improvements.